New Opportunities are Opening Up Everyday for Freelancers — Are You Positioned to Take Advantage of this Rapidly Expanding Marketplace?
God willing and the creek don’t rise.
That’s a saying we sometimes use in the south when making plans. What we mean is: “We’re going to follow through on our plans — as long as nothing that we can’t foresee gets in our way.”
I should have added that statement at the end of my blog post last month when I said that I’d let you know the following week about the new marketplace I’ve identified as the hottest avenue for freelance writers.
Since I wrote that post, the creek didn’t rise and I’m not sure if I can put the blame on God — but things did happen that prevented me getting my next blog post up.
The main obstacle was that my computer crashed the week after I published that post. Not only that, but because the computer repair shops near me were backed up with repairs thanks to the holidays, it took five days to get my computer back. That is a LONG time to be without the hub of your business. Once I finally got it back, the catch up I had to do was ridiculous.
I also landed a project with a new client at the end of January. And it had a brutally fast deadline. I actually began working on the project on my iPad. Can you image the hardships that created!
Then I caught a cold. And we all know what a stuffy nose and scratchy throat does for your productivity.
I’m hoping the worst of my productivity blockers is behind me for 2014 — so that now I can stay on top of my business — and my new passion: Content Marketing.
Revealing the Expanding Marketplace for Enterprising Freelance Writers
So enough belly aching.
Finally, at long last, here is my predication about where I think freelance writers should direct their energies — if they are looking for new opportunities, new clients, and new projects.
You’ve probably heard of it by now. It’s among the biggest buzz-terms in the world of marketing.
What’s more, you may already be writing content for Content Marketers. But do you fully understand the opportunities in this marketplace?
Content Marketing is not a totally new marketing disciple. It’s existed in other forms in the past (in fact, my very first freelance writing client was did Content Marketing 30 years ago – albeit, a simpler form of the discipline – more on that in an upcoming post).
Content Marketing has been around in its current modern form since about 2009, according to experts.
But Content Marketing really picked up steam in 2013 — bringing together all of the many diverse moving parts, like inbound marketing, brand journalism, social media, and SEO-focused content creation, to name a few elements of the expanding and evolving discipline. That’s when I identified it as the next big marketplace for freelance writers. I mean, who could miss it?
This year, Content Marketing fever is in high gear.
The savvy marketers are already deeply involved in the art and science of Content Marketing.
The late-bloomers are trying to wrap their arms around it.
And the laggards are eyeing it with either suspicion or envy, but are waking up to the fact that Content Marketing is inevitable if they want to stay relevant in today’s content-driven business world.
What is Content Marketing? — And Why Should You Care?
What exactly is Content Marketing? There are as many definitions as there are experts in this discipline.
But here are three that provide a great overview.
Academic Definition —“Content marketing is the process of developing and sharing relevant, valuable, and engaging content to a target audience with the goal of acquiring new customers or increasing business from existing customers. It’s the vital link between awareness and a profitable customer action.” (from PR and Marketing company Cision)
Snazzy, Memorable Definition — “Traditional marketing and advertising is telling the world you’re a rock star. Content Marketing is showing the world that you are one.” (from content marketing expert Robert Rose)
Reality Check Definition — “Content marketing is the opposite of advertising. It’s about engaging consumers with the stuff they really want, in a way that serves your brand’s purposes and ideals, rather than just trying to jam your logo into their periphery.” (from Keith Blanchard of Story Worldwide)
I’m so excited about Content Marketing that last year dove deep into the art and science of it all — and I created an eight-week online course for freelancers, so they can learn exactly what they need to learn and hit the ground running in the world of Content Marketing.
At the time, I had been in the process of creating a different freelance writing course, based on my 30 years of experience. But then in the Fall I pivoted when I saw the potential in this marketplace for freelance writers.
Content Marketing is definitely the next big thing. So, I went full-on in this direction and created an in-depth and multifaceted new Masterclass — the Content Marketing Masterclass for Freelancers.
Content Marketing Masterclass Designed to Help You Accelerate Your Content Marketing Career
Masterclass participants learn about all the moving parts in Content Marketing — including all of the vital elements of the discipline, who the major players are, how to find Content Marketing projects, how to deliver results-focused content, and insider secrets for gaining a competitive edge as a Content Marketing freelancer.
Here are just some of the topics covered in the in-depth Masterclass:
- Essential insights about the Content Marketing marketplace and the nearly unlimited potential for freelance writers
- Detailed overview of the multiple dimensions of Content Marketing — and how all the moving parts work together
- How to speak the language of Content Marketing — and truly understand the goals and objectives of Content Marketers
- Understanding exactly what “engagement-worthy” and “structurally rich” content means to Content Marketers
- How Content Marketers view their sales funnels, including conversations on the customer journey and conversions
- How you can contribute to companies storytelling and viral content creation demands
- How to sell your expertise to this marketplace — and become an in-demand Content Marketing writer
- How to find leading-edge companies who value content marketing writers — so you can charge what you are worth
- And much more
Of special note: The Masterclass includes two great opportunities in addition to the eight information-packed lessons:
- You will have the opportunity to interact with other freelancer writers in the Masterclass forums. There you can ask questions, share experiences, and network. This is important because research shows that there is nothing better for advancing your career than interacting and networking with your peers.
- You’ll also gain direct access to me. You can ask me anything as we move through the eight-week course. As a long-time freelancer, I’ve seen it all — and can provide you with some valuable “from the trenches” insight to any problems you are facing or questions you have.
This week I’ll share more information about Content Marketing with you. (God willing and the creek don’t rise!)